OFOVC Social Media Commenting Policy
What is, and isn't, acceptable?
We welcome your comments and expect that conversations will follow the general rules of respectful civil discourse. You are fully responsible for everything that you submit in your comments, and all posted comments are in the public domain. Please keep your submissions relevant and be civil.
Please keep in mind that the OFOVC cannot tolerate comments that are offensive to an individual or an organization, rude in tone, or abusive. We do not discriminate against any views but we reserve the right to edit or remove any comments that are:
- contrary to the principles of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- racist, hateful, sexist, homophobic, slanderous, insulting, or life-threatening messages
- serious, unproven, unsupported, or inaccurate accusations against individuals or organizations
- abusive, aggressive, coarse, explicit, vulgar, violent, obscene, or pornographic comments
- personal attacks and/or defamatory statements
- comments that encourage or suggest illegal activity
- messages where the sender is not the author (nor the copyright holder if applicable)
- solicitations, advertisements, or endorsements of any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency. Similarly, we do not allow attempts to defame or defraud any financial, commercial or non-governmental agency.
- announcements from labour or political organizations
- messages written in a language other than English or French
- comments not sent by the author and/or posted by anonymous or robot accounts
- repetitive posts copied and pasted by multiple users
- messages that are unintelligible, irrelevant or start to go too far off topic
- message in all posted using all CAPS (it is difficult to read and is interpreted as yelling)
- messages that contain personal information and details
- any other message that the forum moderators feel will not add to the normal flow of debate.
In short, be respectful and make sure your comments are relevant to the section where they are posted. If you have any questions about this commenting policy or how we apply it, please contact us at OFOVC-BOFVAC.Media@ombudsman.gc.ca.
A few other important notes:
- The OFOVC cannot commit to replying to every comment posted. We will, however, attempt to engage in conversations when possible.
- The views of participants commenting on this YouTube page do not necessarily represent the views of the Office.
- Users participate at your own risk, taking personal responsibility for your comments, your username and any information provided. To protect your own privacy and the privacy of others, please do not include phone numbers or email addresses in the body of your comment.
- Additional information can be found on the OFOVC website www.victimsfirst.gc.ca
Users may provide video responses as long as they respect this commenting policy.
If you have questions about this policy, please contact OFOVC-BOFVAC.Media@ombudsman.gc.ca.
The OFOVC's social media accounts are managed by OFOVC Communications, located at:
P.O Box 55037
Ottawa, Ontario K1P 1A1
For general enquiries
Questions and requests for general information about the OFOVC programs, services, and publications should be directed to:
For media enquiries
Media representatives should direct media enquiries to OFOVC Manager, Communications - Christina McDonald:
Phone: (613) 957-4681